Three types of leaders and how to retain them…
Here’s a quick overview of key truths from Common Purpose by Joel Kurtzman.
- Great leaders motivate people by building a sense of inclusiveness, which is how they connect with and become accepted by the group.
- Common purpose is what turns me into we.
- Leadership matters not just when it comes to preventing calamities and seizing opportunities.
- Your customers’ definition of success has to be your definition of success.
- Common purpose requires common goals. But it also requires communicating what’s expected and providing feedback when people get it right.
How to retain leaders:
- Identify them early & make sure they know it.
- Celebrate their accomplishments.
- Educate them about the organization & its capabilities.
- Give them access to the team at the top.
- Respond quickly with counter offers if they plan to leave.
- Reward them with new challenges; not just with more money.
- Leadership is really about guiding, coaching, and inspiring others to reach a goal.
- You cannot lead if you don’t know the people you are leading. The best way to get to know them is informally.
- Rather than obsessing about the competition, organizations should focus on the people they want to serve.
3 Key Types of Leaders in an Organization:
- Strategic: Plot the course; long term thinkers; understand where the future is going to be & how to get there.
- Operational: Make trains; run on time
- Bridge-Building: Connect people together, transfer knowledge, make introductions to help others achieve their goals